January 01, 2016 - "Toasting 2016"
I don’t believe in making New Year’s Resolutions. I’ve found that, more often than not, the resolutions people make tend to either be too generic or too unrealistic, and they end up being completely abandoned before the calendar even gets a chance to flip to February. Besides, if you truly want to create a major change in your life, why do you need to wait until the first of January to begin?
I do, however, believe in having goals. I like the idea of making a list of things to strive for in the coming year. Some may be things that require change in order to be achieved. Others may be things that are simply looked forward to.
Such a list does not have to be definitive. It can grow and evolve as the days pass. Some goals might be reached… some surpassed… others missed. New ones might be added… while others might be deemed to no longer be necessary or even desired. That’s part of the beauty of having goals: They give you something to reach for… but whether or not you actually end up reaching them does not define you or your experience.
My OCD tends to translate into a love of organizing things and making lists. My personality tends to take those lists and add a splash of humor to them. With that in mind, here are “some” of my goals for the next twelve months…
- To watch “The Price Is Right” more often… and follow the news less often.
- To listen to more Jazz albums and fewer political conversations.
- To find a reason to celebrate with Champagne at least once each month.
- To not allow 30 days to pass without having seen or at least talked with my two OLDER brothers and my parents.
- To celebrate my daughter’s high school graduation… followed by her 18th birthday… and then kick her out of the house and off to college.
- To guide my son through the obstacles life has given him… and help him to start believing in himself.
- To introduce at least one person to the beauty that is a pizza at Colony Grill in Stamford.
- To convince at least one person to stop calling it “sauce” and start calling it “gravy”.
- To make a difference in someone’s life by using a “JAWS”-related analogy.
- To need to refill my wine-rack more often, due to the frequency of visits from friends and family.
- To look at the screen less… and through the viewfinder more.
- To use my Vitamix at least once a week… or every other week… or once a month… or whatever.
- To eat more cake… especially Italian Rum Cake.
- To celebrate the 40th anniversary of my birth while standing in front of van Gogh’s “Starry Night” with my best friend.
- To give more than I receive.
- To love more than I have ever loved.
- To add no less than one dozen wristwatches to my collection.
There… I think that’s a good starting point. In fact I think I'll get started immediately. Right after I post this I will get on eBay and buy the first of those dozen watches!
Yep. This is going to be a good year!
* * *